Friday, January 29, 2010

Today's Breakfast

This was breakfast this morning..........



a homemade baked chocolate side pie. Oh my! It was buttery. It was chocolatey. It was perfect!

So I made my very first pie crust from scratch a couple of nights ago. I know! I'm almost 40 and I've never done that before. I resoved earlier this year to cook more from scratch which brought me to making my own pie crust for the pot pie I was making. The recipe I used however made enough dough for two crusts. So this dough sat in my fridge a couple of days while I figured out what to do with it. I was not going to throw it away. No way! So I decided to use it to make a long time but seldom enjoyed favoirite of mine-the chocolate side pie.

Growing up in the South, side pies were often on the table at family gatherings. Most of the time they were fruit side pies but ever so often there would be chocolate side pies. Oh, the joy! It always felt like a special gift to get to enjoy one of those.

The thing is they are incredibly easy to make. I may start making them more often.

Want to make your own?
Cut circles out of your pie crust. ( I was able to get 4 out of the crust I had. You'll need to re-knead and roll in between.)
Fill with a mixture of cocoa powder and sugar.
Dot with butter.
Fold over and crimp edges with a fork.
Sprinkle sugar lightly over top.
Bake at 425 degrees until done-This was trial and error and I think they took about 12-14 minutes total to cook. I just kept checking on them.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

mmm... looks great! I am impressed!