Monday, October 6, 2008

I Just Don't Have Time To Do It All

How many times have you said that? For me it's more times than I can count. I so often feel that I'm running in circles and never accomplishing anything much less being able to do it all. I am currently doing a Bible study entitled Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. This weeks study has focused on the lies we believe about priorities. The Truth is that we don't have to do it all. But what we do need to do is get our priorities right to begin with. Jesus accomplished his entire earthly work in just a few short years. Why? Because he did the work he was given by his Father to do.

In John 17:4 Jesus says: I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

He didn't get sidetracked by a million little tasks. He didn't finish what his friends, family and followers all wanted him to do. But he did the work God gave him to do.

When we are exhausted and frustrated and just downright frazzled it's time to step back and take a good look at our priorities. Is the work God has given you to do your top priority or are you trying to do the work everyone else expects of you. (Please know I'm speaking to myself here.) Right now my main work is focused on raising a family. I have two young daughters and raising them with my husband is a huge part of the work God has given me to do. There are also some areas in my church and my community where I am able to serve. But I know I need to remain mindful that the work I'm doing is what God wants me to do and not just what I want to do or what someone else wants me to do.

Just in the last year I found myself wanting to do more, thinking God was just not using me enough. Oh goodness, can you believe that??? I wanted to be able to serve in a way I had at my old church in Mississippi and was frustrated that God hadn't opened up something like that here at my new church. For a couple of months, I found myself trying to make something happen that just wouldn't. I finally listened to what God was telling me and took a step back. I've learned to be content with the opportunities He's given me while still being open to whatever doors to serve He might open for me.

But how do we know for sure what work God has given us to do? Well, some of it is obvious like raising your children. But there are times when it's not so clear. Just because someone asks you to help out doesn't mean that is where you need to be serving. By spending time in prayer and reading God's word, He will give us the wisdom and discernment to know what He wants for us.

Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

We don't have to do it all, just the work God has given us to do. And that, my friends, is being set free.

2 comments:

Stefani said...

You are amazing Janet. Im soo proud of you for your thoughts and wisdom. You put it in great perspective. Thank you soo much for sharing your words today along with His words. Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Bible Study! I did it myself a few years ago and would benefit from doing it again.